Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day

The unofficial "end of summer". At least that is what I have been hearing all weekend on the radio. Why is it that June, July and August fly by? I don't recall the bone-chilling months of January, February and March speeding along.

Summer has had different connotations at different time periods in my life.

When I was young and school age, it meant 3 months of no school. I would be able to go out and play with my friends from dawn to dusk. No homework. Spend days up at Terrace Lake.

College age meant I had 3 short months to work, 3 long months of living at home and 3 long months before I could get back to school.

When I was married and worked part-time it meant I had those lazy, hazy days to spend with my daughter.

Getting divorced meant 3 long months until school started up and figuring out where my daughter was going to spend her summer days because I now had to work full-time.

My daughter's college years meant my working 2 jobs and not even realizing there was a summer.

Now I have come full circle. I am finally at the point where I can enjoy summer and all it has to offer. The hot, humid days, taking a trip to the beach, walking 8:30 at night because the days are so long, mowing the lawn...

And I did all that and more. Still the summer has flown by and there was so much more I wanted to do. But today is just the unofficial "end of summer". We all have until September 22 to fit in a few more summer activities. Look around and you may just find me at the beach a few more times.

No comments:

Post a Comment