Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Day Four - Antiqua

We docked in Antiqua promptly at 8:00 am.



Today was my "giddy with excitement" day. Why you may ask? I was going zip lining! This has been on my bucket list for awhile.

After a lot of research, I decided on the Antiqua Rainforest Zip Line Tour. This is an excursion that is offered through the ship, but I booked it privately. It was cheaper to do it this way even factoring in the taxi fare.

We headed off the ship to find a taxi. It was very easy to do. There was one point person for the taxis who then directed you to your own driver. The drive to the rainforest was about 30 minutes. The fare was $8 per person each way. We arranged a return time with him to take us back to port when we were done.

We were booked for the 11:15 am tour. We checked in, paid and signed the waivers. Only four out of the five of us were participating. They had a beautiful observation deck where one could watch the activities going on in the rainforest.

The staff was extremely friendly and nice. Safety was their number one priority. They took a lot of time and care to ensure that everyone was harnessed in properly. We were given a brief lesson on what to do and we were off. We headed to the first of the 12 zip lines we would be doing. There were about 25 people in our group. Our group of four was at the beginning. Somehow I ended up being first in line. First! I got cabled on to the line, took a deep breath, and took the plunge. It. was. so. much. fun! I had no fear gliding along that line.



They have the system down to keep the group moving with no backlog. We did 12 lines, the longest one was the 325 ft. "Screamer". We also did a "vertical ascent" line. Hmm, I was clipped onto a rope and was told to jump. Well I don't jump. I will glide down a line no problem, but jumping off of something was not on my agenda.

So they pushed me off.

And I landed at the bottom of the tree in a heap, laughing so hard I was crying.

It took a little less than 2 hours to do the tour. At the end they have a nice shop with t-shirts and a snack area. You can also buy a DVD with 25 photos and a video of your zip line adventure. It was $20. Of course I bought it.



Our taxi driver was waiting for us at the appointed time to take us back to the ship. After scoping out the shopping area and purchasing a few souvenirs, I boarded the ship. I spent some time in the solarium, then headed up to my stateroom. This afternoon was our "Meet and Mingle" event.

I belong to an online cruise forum called Cruise Critic. Their message boards are a wealth of information when planning a cruise. They also have "roll calls" where you can chat with people who are going on your particular cruise. If enough people sign up, the cruise line will host a special event for the group called a "Meet and Mingle".  Ours was at 5:00 pm today in the Vortex lounge. It was hosted by Elvis, the activities manager. There were refreshments and prize giveaways. It was well-attended and a nice way to put a face to the name of the people you are chatting with online.

Dining, at its best, was at Chops tonight. This was an even a better experience than Portofino's. I had an incredible steak that melted in my mouth. They were serving "foot-long" baked potatoes (not kidding!) The sides were served family style so everyone could sample.

This was made even better when they added a cabernet sauce
Foot-long baked potato
Sides are served family style


Another walk around the deck was in order after we once again stuffed our faces. Tonight's entertainment was the Love and Marriage Game. The concept of this is simple. Three couples, newlyweds, a couple married about 10 years and the longest married couple sit on the stage and answer questions about each other. The entertainment factor really depends on the enthusiasm of the couples and their answers. The questions are the same from sailing to sailing. This group was just ok. I wasn't laughing hysterically as I have in the past.

We then went up to the pool deck where the White Hot Party was in full swing. Dancing and more food was available.

Our adventures in Antiqua were exhausting. I couldn't wait to get to sleep. Up next, our day in St. Lucia.



No comments:

Post a Comment