Monday, June 3, 2013

A Trip is Born...

The whole idea to go to Europe came about maybe 2 years ago. We started planning to go with friends (which I was glad, the whole idea of going to Europe intimidated me a bit). Then things just weren't panning out.

But I still wanted to go to Europe! I had it in my head, and once that happens there can be no stopping me. So I did away with my fears and started my research. Hotels, flights, what to see, where exactly to go. We narrowed it down to London and Paris. We chose to go in May which is less expensive than the summertime. Deposits, payments due, should we get these ticket ahead of time? Done, done and done.

Then we wait until the anticipated day. May 16. Thursday night flight, 8:55pm.

I didn't get really excited until the last week. Why? Because now I thought we were actually going to go. Yes, I can be a glass half empty person. There are just too many things that could go wrong. But by Wednesday night I was giddy with excitement. I was actually going to cross the ocean and travel to another county. Huge deal for me, I have never been abroad.

Work was difficult on Thursday, people kept wanting me to actually work. Hello, I am on vacation in 2 hours. Finally I left at 3:30 for the last leg, travel to Hoboken to pick up Lauren and then to Park Plus to leave the car for the next 11 days. Hoping for no traffic, no accidents or getting lost. Well we did miss the turn for Park Plus and it took us a few minutes to regroup. But we got there. Got in the van and to the terminal.

Now I am probably in the minority, but I like to get to the airport early. I would rather be there waiting for my plane than stuck in traffic wondering if I will make it on time. So we were there by 5:00ish. Checked the bags, went through security (where I was patted down, specifically in the knee area) and we headed for the Garden State Diner in Terminal C. Flight is at 9:00pm. It only makes sense to eat dinner beforehand.

The time went fast and we were boarded and on our way on time. Flight time was 6 hours 30 minutes. I took an Advil PM and planned to sleep as much as I could. Which I did, except when they decided to serve dinner at 11 pm. And people were actually eating it, didn't they eat beforehand like us?

The flight was smooth, it was on time and before you knew it, we were touching down at Heathrow airport, 9:25am London time.

Next stop, get to the hotel and hope our room is ready.


No comments:

Post a Comment